Ocean literacy - what's that?
Ocean literacy is an understanding of the ocean's influence on you, and your influence on the ocean.
According to the Ocean Literacy Network, an ocean literate person
1. Understands the seven Essential Principles and related Fundamental Concepts about the functioning of the ocean
2. Can communicate about the ocean in a meaningful way
3. Is able to make informed and responsible decisions regarding the ocean and its resources
The Seven Essential Principles of Ocean Literacy
1. The Earth has one big ocean with many features
2. The ocean and life in the ocean shape the features of Earth
3. The ocean is a major influence on weather and climate.
4. The ocean makes the Earth habitable.
5. The ocean supports a great diversity of life and ecosystems.
6. The ocean and humans are inextricably interconnected.
7. The ocean is largely unexplored.
Confused about what ocean literacy is and why it's important?
Check our FAQ page for a rundown on where to start.
Links and suggestions for both local and general ocean literacy teaching resources.
Upcoming local and regional events and organizations relevant to ocean literacy.
This portion of our website will be undergoing construction continually as we gather resources, educational materials, and relevant news items about ocean literacy. If you notice anything missing from this page or know of additional resources and information you’d like to see here, please get in touch with us at 463-1500 or email email@example.com.